I can't believe I have a project done already!
It's another project that was started quite a long time ago. I'd been working along, a bit at a time, on this for the last couple of months, stitching leaves (endless leaves) and gave it a push over the weekend and finished it.
It all began with the beads, a gift from SJ Designs. I had an idea for a design to use as a model for marketing the beads. Ummm, this was like 20 years ago, I'd say. I picked the colors of perle cotton and then began struggling. I had a great idea, but once I tried putting it onto canvas, well, I didn't have the skill. It sat for a long time.
Last summer I pulled it out and charted the needlepoint leaves and petals. I'd been trying to stitch a circle of leaves and petals just by stitching on the canvas with little planning. Boy, that did not work at all. I ripped more than I stitched. In the end I started over from scratch.
This is basically the original idea I had so long ago. Beyond the basic needlepoint, I had the idea for the detached leaves, but didn't know how to do them. I can say I know how now, after making all of these leaves. There are a couple of rows to Turkey work between the petals and the center. I was going to cut it for fuzz, but I like the loops so I'm leaving it.
I also learned how to stitch the beads onto the center. I strung them on a thread and couched them. My original plan had been to stitch them individually, and I tried it, but it was hard to keep a nice spiral. I was going to fill in the center with dark French knots but, again, decided I like it as is.
It's on 18 count canvas and is about 4" to 5" across.