This lovely fabric ATC was sent to me by Lula of Woolydream.
We're looking at a rare warm and dry Halloween--perfect for trick-or-treating!
This first image may not look too exciting but I'm thrilled. Take a peek at the amazing hemstitching on this pillowcase. It was a very surprise gift from a friend. She knows how I very much prefer to sleep on old cotton pillowcases. I used to buy them in antique shops because they were very reasonably priced and pretty--and then found I like them much better than new.
The next pictures are pure eye-candy. Last weekend (the 18th) we visited the open house at Ellen Anne Eddy's Studio. Definitely Thread Magic! I was excited for the chance to see her quilts up close and in person. I hadn't thought that she might have things for sale! I got a lovely stash that I'm still regularly fondling and contemplating.
Ellen's quilts are amazing and I love how she dyes her fabrics. She works to convey the effects of a definite light source--can you see it in the pictures? I also got a load of dyed cheesecloth, perle cotton, and a magical piece of sheer fabric, shown together in a photo.
I loved meeting and chatting with Ellen and her friends (and her amazing greyhounds--they are so sweet and loving and I was very sad to learn Beau suddenly died this week). I also got a sneak peek at a design tutorial Ellen is working on. (Check out the one one her website--it's great.)
I did do some other things besides rust last weekend. Each year I need to make several holiday ornaments for exchanges, gifts, and displays. I did this one mostly in one long evening...pulled thread on canvas. It's always fun to experiment with pulled thread stitches. It's a little harder on canvas and my hands did hurt the next morning, but I like the lacy look enough for it to be worth it.
The "rose" images are actually the cut off end of a head of baby bok choy. The circles are the cut off end of a small zucchini. I used pigment stamp pads in gold, silver and copper to print my totally random design. I think it came out pretty cool.
I need to press it to set it and then I need to figure out what I want to do with it!
While at last weekend's quilt show, I met Lois Jarvis (here, too). She made the Ground Zero quilt that was on display at the show and had a lovely booth. This is a sample piece of her rust dyeing--it's amazing. So, I bought a rust dyeing kit that included this cd and everything needed to try it out including prepared for dyeing (pfd) fabric so I could just dive in. Let's make rust!
I didn't get to it Saturday (and it was a shame because it was hot this weekend) and ended up getting things going after dark Sunday night. (It's getting dark way too early now!) We have a street lamp across from our house so I worked on the front steps and my fabric has been dyeing itself all week there, to the consternation of the squirrels and confusion of my hubby's friends.
So here it is, all wrapped and tied to cook away in the sun. I got an inexpensive plain toolbox from HobbyLobby to hold the dyeing fabric and give me a place to rinse it out and, hopefully, store some of the dyeing equipment. It got cool and rainy but I figured that would be okay because it would just dye more slowly and I won't have time to unwrap it until this weekend.
I had also purchased some iron filings and decided to try magnet dyeing--I placed a magnet cut out into a pumpkin shape in a plastic veg tray. I laid a piece of damp pfd fabric on it and sprinkled on the iron filing. Supposedly they would gravitate to the magnet. I added salt and let it sit over night. This is what I got.
Here are the rinsed pieces. Not very pumpkin like but kinda cool. This fabric is certainly stained! I learned that unless I wanted to smell like iron all day I need to wear gloves. And not wash things out in the bathroom sink.
Here's the fabric bundle on day two. Not much change.
Here's day four. I got more copper wire to wrap the outside layer. (I did a double layer--of course I can't follow instructions!)
Here's the underside on day four. Gettin' rusty!
I didn't get a shot this morning but it was looking pretty gross--which seems to me to be a good thing. I went out and got some additional supplies--more steel wool, face masks (just cheapies), coffee filters to filter the rinse water, a cheap strainer to hold the coffee filters. My starter kit included gloves and synthrapol to wash the fabrics in when they're done. I also rounded up some yogurt containers from recycling (the quart size) to use to hold my new stash of rusty bits.