Thursday, August 20, 2015

EGA Challenge Nearly Done

I got down to work and have completed the stitching on the EGA challenge piece.  I've begun mounting it on foamcore. All I need to do now is add the backing fabric and personal information and I can send it off to Judy Jeroy.
Here it is.  The top wheel is a detached stuffed shape.  It took me a while to figure out how to stitch and stuff the complex shape.  I ended up cutting the top layer from fabric, adding two cut layers of batting to it and then basting the top seam allowances to the back of the batting.  Then I cut a backing piece, folded in the seam allowances, and hand stitched it to the prepared top piece.  That sounds more organized than it was--there were some tiny seams and clipped curves and I just made it up as I went along.  There were so many layers and then the wooden sticks for the rods, that I ended up gluing the top wheel to the piece.  I couldn't sew it on invisibly or neatly. 
 Here are some close ups.
And another cropped view of the whole--without the ragged edges showing. 

2 comments:

averyclaire.org said...

Wow...what a fantastic piece. It is so unusual. I believe this was a LOT of work and it is so creative. I love the out-of-the-box design. Just the design alone was a real challenge. You did an amazing job on this one. Congratulations, it's amazing.

underatopazsky said...

That is so unusual and just so much to explore wherever you look. Amazing!