It's taken some trial and error but I think I have a working design. The funky things around the eye are eyelids that wouldn't stay in place when I pinned them--but those little bits are what most need pinning.
I've learned when working with layers of felt like this you need to start with the top layer and work down. So that's my plan.
This took more trial and error than I had expected and I now have several felt hands and fingers, hearts and paisleys in various colors in my scrap bin.
I also went down and pulled out some pastel Medici wools to work with, too. I'm not sure what I'll use when I begin stitching. Probably a combination. I still need a pupil for my eye.