I've been working on this for a long time. First in the back of my mind. Then I strugged with the design. It was a much belated birthday gift for a friend--World Embroideries--so I went to her blog for ideas. Finally, I "borrowed" a photo off of her blog and adapted that. I liked the overall composition, but I changed the colors and sized it to fit the towel.
I did my best to translate temari from 3-D to 2-D, while still looking three dimensional, and also being usable as a dish towel, washable and all of that. It journeyed to London and back with me and this is pretty much the only thing I worked on while I was sick. Now that the recipient has it, I can share. For a while, midway through, I thought it was ugly and hated my color choices and stitches--I did a lot of ripping. Now I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.