Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Excitement

 Last Christmas I was given an Amazon gift card. We've been in a paring down phase and so I decided to wait until I found just the right, very special book to purchase. I finally did.
I generally buy books that teach me how to do something I don't know how to do. This does not have any stitches, diagrams or instructions. Perhaps because I've been overworked and am not stitching right now, but I'm really enjoying the gorgeous illustrations. I've already learned new things from the text, on the development of the Arts & Crafts style. Arts & Crafts Embroidery by Laura Euler was published in June this year by Schiffer so it's very new. I took a risk--I hadn't seen any reviews of it. But it's not too much of a risk--like many others, I love this style.
I've just gotten the book and am just getting into it.  It covers Arts & Crafts in England, Scotland and the U.S., with big names like Morris, the Glasgow School, and Stickley prominent.
The book also provides a history and context for the style and the designs. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree this is going to be the book to have. I had put it on my watch for review list and then it was reviewed, in of all places... an antique publication...I figured before it became hard to get to order and I'm glad I did.