Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentine fun

Last weekend I began a quick Valentine's project that you'll have time to do before Monday if you wish.I purchased a package of stiff felt hearts from Jo-Ann's--there are 12 filigree cut hearts and 12 plain hearts in the package (it was under $5). I also got a roll of tulle from the bridal aisle. (It was half-off at Hobby-Lobby, so cost $1.50)

I cut two pieces of tulle a bit bigger than each heart and tacked them, layered and a bit offset to better hold the lavender, to the back of each filigree heart. Don't stitch through the felt, just pick up a little on the back. Once it's tacked all the way around (I stitched about 1/4" from the edge), cut the tulle off around the outside of the heart shape.

Then I put the backed heart on top of a plain one and buttonhole stitched about 2/3 of the way around. I poked in some lavender (a gift from my sister) and finished stitching. I used a large needle and a bamboo skewer to poke the lavender into the heart and spread it more or less evenly.

Very quick and easy and, I think, kinda cute. I gave them to my sister and sister-in-law this weekend. I gave one to a friend last night. I think I'll save the rest to pass out on Monday!I also finished my sister-in-law's scarf. I didn't think I'd get it done but I ran out of yarn on Saturday so that means it's done. It needs blocking but she has the tools for that and I don't. It's very soft. The matching hat is here. It was her Christmas gift.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What a cute Valentine project. Just perfect.

terryb said...

The scarf is very nice. I like the color and the softness of the cables. The hearts are cute too.

Rachel said...

Anything with lavender in is always acceptable!

lifemyway said...

I love the scarf. It looks so warm and comfy and the color adds warmth and makes it really inviting! What a great job!

Nancy said...

They are beautiful together! This is the first time in my life I've had a matching scarf and hat. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Which reminds me the cute little heart is great and I have plans for it.