Thursday, March 26, 2015

quilt progress

I'm piecing blocks now for the last lesson in the intermediate crazy quilting class--putting all the lessons into practice.
This is a hexagon for a quilt-as-you go style hexagon. I was inspired, I think, by Spring and St. Patrick's day.
This is a block using one of the provided silkie designs and lovely fancy fabrics given to me by World Embroideries. The fabrics were wonderful to use but very reflective and the colors didn't photograph well--most are darker/brighter/color shifted.
And this is the "whole cloth" crazy quilt. I showed it with the "seam lines" basted on in my previous post.  I've not stitched all of the base stitches for the seam treatments and have removed the basting lines. Now for the fun of embellishing these bases.  It will be a pincushion.
 I'm working on a couple more quilts squares. This one has a silkie of a friend's mother. I'm going for an art deco effect. I'm not committed to this design--it's about the fifth iteration I've done and I like it better than the others so far.  I may use more of World Embroideries' fancy fabrics for this, but I also have cottons in the perfect colors, so more decisions are coming.
This is a variation on crazy quilting with curved piecing. I want to do it all white and have tone-on-tone white and off-white cottons for it. I plan to use freezer paper patterns to press the curves. Right now I'm thinking about how to avoid the seam allowances and the back of the stitching showing through the pale fabrics--perhaps a thin layer of batting. I suspect interfacing it will make it harder to stitch. And do I put it on a white background, a pale background, or a dark background?  Color tint the pieces with crayons to hint at color or leave it white?  Still more decisions.

No comments: