Thursday, August 7, 2008

TIF thoughts

After the award, this feels like a most uncreative week. I haven't worked on my journal, although I have been gathering materials for a collage or two, and I haven't done much on this month's TIF.

I have, however, thought a lot about it. My first thoughts were that this challenge comes at a perfect time for me because I'm feeling out of balance and perhaps this will help me regain it.
I've been writing in my journal all week about being in and out of balance and came to the conclusion that being in balance, at least for me, it not a steady state. I tip one way and come back and then tip the other and come back and in the middle of all of this tipping and tottering, there are brief moments of balance.

It rather reminds me of going to the chiropractor (which I haven't been doing lately) and she puts my spine back in balance. It doesn't stay there but it feels great while it is aligned. And each time it seems to stay a bit longer or go back into alignment easier.

And that reminded me of meditation, where you focus on something and as your mind drifts you gently bring it back, over and over, to the point of focus. (which brings me once more to my "word" for the year: focus.)

I spent some time looking at images of gymnasts on balance beams and tightrope walkers but nothing was exactly right. So I began thinking about the balance point--the rope. That sparked a whole variety of textile and embroidery-related ideas for my journal page this month.

Today Sharon B's blog linked to an article on design and composition. In the discussion they touched on balance, including symmetry and reflection. And a note about how ink blots, such as those used in psychological testing, are symmetrical and balanced. Which got me thinking about all of the psychiatric aspects of balance.

The dictionary definition added more food for thought. The meaning I thought of first is the last one listed! (with 5, 6 and 7 running close behind)

bal·ance
Function: noun
1 : an instrument for weighing: as a : a beam that is supported freely in the center and has two pans of equal weight suspended from its ends b : a device that uses the elasticity of a spiral spring for measuring weight or force
2 : a means of judging or deciding
3 : a counterbalancing weight, force, or influence
4 : an oscillating wheel operating with a hairspring to regulate the movement of a timepiece
5 a : stability produced by even distribution of weight on each side of the vertical axis b : equipoise between contrasting, opposing, or interacting elements c : equality between the totals of the two sides of an account
6 a : an aesthetically pleasing integration of elements b : the juxtaposition in writing of syntactically parallel constructions containing similar or contrasting ideas
7 a : physical equilibrium b : the ability to retain one's balance
8 a : weight or force of one side in excess of another b : something left over : REMAINDER c : an amount in excess especially on the credit side of an account
9 : mental and emotional steadiness

So I'm off for a long weekend. Tomorrow a group from my EGA chapter is teaching at Camp Quality--always a fun day.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Yay, the comments are working! The definitions of balance you posted are very interesting, and give a lot of food for thought. I just haven't been stitching much, on anything! We are leaving on vacation on Sunday, this morning on the way to work I was fantasizing about it being my very last time. I REALLY need a vacation.
Jane

Paula Hewitt said...

Im looking forward to seeing whatyou do with the challenge

Lelia said...

wonderful post ; )