Wednesday, August 10, 2011

More avocado experiments

In the summer we eat a lot of avocados and I've been saving the pits.
For my first experiment, I just left them on the counter to dry. This time I froze them in quarters. The color in the pits is a lot brighter. I also peeled them but I'm not sure if this is good or bad.  One that I froze unpeeled was a lot brighter than the others when I did peel it (upper left). I hope the brighter color in the pits translates into stronger color on the silk. My first try is here. I'm not using the old silk crepe this time--it's just too fragile.
Here are my filled jars. I wrapped the avocado pieces in the silk from my first try and stuffed it into the jars and poured in boiling water. I'm hoping for a more mottled effect rather than an overall color. They're stewing on the back porch right now...Perhaps the silk will become folded flowers.

No comments: