Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vacation!

I'm taking a very much needed vacation from work.  This will be one of the few times I'll have Internet access.  So far, it's been wonderful.  It started out with me being totally exhausted and my honey nursing a swollen and bruised arm and bursitis!  We took it easy the first couple of days.  We're more resilient then we were when young and a couple of frustrations didn't deter us. Three times we got to our destination only to find it unexpectedly closed and each time we were able to regroup and find wonderful alternatives.

I didn't bring a camera on Sunday when we had a lovely stroll along the Illinois and Michigan canal in Lockport. It was a rainy day, mostly, but was clear just when we needed it.  On Monday we visited the war memorial park in Munster, Indiana.
It was a sunny day, cool and lovely. This sculpture is part of the WWII section of the park. All along the walkway are bricks with memorials and dedications to soldiers from the various conflicts. Far too many.
The edging of the path is a timeline. We found this grouping from 1933 particularly incongruous. We learned a lot reading the timeline.
Then Monday afternoon I took off on a short trip to visit my niece. About half way there down I-65 is a huge field of windmills. I find them mesmerizing. This rest stop is at the beginning of the windmill range.

1 comment:

Jenny Woolf said...

It's good when you reach a philosophical stage and can find pleasure even when things don't turn out as expected.

I find lots of windmills fascinating but sinister and creepy, and the more windmills there are, the creepier they seem! I don't know why.