Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm back

I think. I never intended to be gone a month! If you're interested, here's a link to an article about the program I made happen (not the academic part but all the other stuff--food, activities, housing, travel). In the end I had the help of probably every department at the Law School. Now I'm busy paying bills and reimbursing travel expenses. I haven't been stitching much at all, except some kitting in doctor's offices (playing catch up on some of those necessary things, too).
We did go by my sister's to celebrate her birthday. Triple chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream and home-made by our brother dark chocolate sauce. (The cake may look white, but that's white chocolate.)
I'm still working off and on at clearing things out. Along the way, I found some older WIPs. I pulled a few out to finish up.
This washcloth was 1/2 done when I found it, neatly bagged up with the pattern and a post-it marked the row where to begin.
I had begun this needlepoint many years ago, to showcase some SJ Designs beads. I knew what I wanted to do, but couldn't make the design come together. Endless ripping.  Sunflowers we bought my sister for her birthday inspired me again and I've finally got the project underway (after about 15 years or so...).  I have this row charted then I hope to make it dimensional with semidetached petals.
This one is early 80s vintage. By the time I'd figured out that I really don't like cross stitch, especially not on aida cloth, I was well into it. I like the design, though, and have pulled it out over the years. Each time the family name to go at the bottom would change, depending on who I was inclined to give it to once it is done. You can tell by the skimpy edges this was before I knew to purchase enough fabric for framing. I'm working on it again, for a bit. It's the mindless kind of thing I need right now when I'm overwhelmed at work.

1 comment:

Jenny Woolf said...

Welcome back! I know how busy you have been. That cake looks awesome. The combination of cake and icecream seems particularly special to me. I know I would have eaten far too much so I am glad I didn't get the chance.
:D!