Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Miscellaneous Stuff

A new computer with all new programs, including Blogger, is making me a bit wacky. I couldn't post for a couple of days and this is my second attempt at this post. I'm so used to inputting my photos backwards I can't get my mind around posting them in order. 
We've been having some lovely summer days and I headed out into the garden. The day lilies are just beginning to bloom.
This spring I ran across a very old packet of lettuce seeds and decided to give it a go--some actually grew (most didn't--it was old!). So here's some lettuce and volunteer dill in my pot.
The passion flowers are doing their usual thing. My husband collects the seed pods for an Indian friend who uses the seeds for tea or cooking, I'm not sure which.  I had seen his collection and thought about using it for dyeing to see what would happen--I'm glad I didn't throw them into the pot.

I do have sitting on the back porch two canning jars with chopped avocado pits and some silk fabrics. I wrapped the pits in the silk and crammed it into the jars and then poured on boiling water.  I have no idea what I'll get.  I probably won't be patient much longer, but some of the experiments I've read about have left it a week.

Last night, reading a new issue of "Inspirations" (the Australian magazine, I get mine from the Wooly Thread), I discovered an ad for Laraine's of Capri with a website! This is where I got the colorful crewel kits I've been doing. The crewel didn't appear in her shop (my kits were several years old), but loads of other tempting things do, plus she now has a lovely blog.

2 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh, I'd be scared about eating the seeds but I guess your friend knows what he is doing! :)

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Your garden is coming along beautifully! I'm not good at growing them, unfortunately, but I love flowers, particularly lilies :)